Tuesday 26 June 2012

I woke up into a nightmare

Where do I begin on this one? I'll be honest and try not to be too harsh. I sincerely disliked this month's pick. The book: It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini; the plot: a poor little rich kid with a bad case of First World Problems. It was chosen thanks to the recommendation by Amazon and I was sorry that our Book Club session was wasted on such a bad choice.
Now to be clear I am very sympathetic to depression and the horrors that come with it, but I didn't find this book to be sincere in being an advocate for mental health. It's Kind of a Funny Story follows a depressed teenage boy who, after contemplating suicide, checks himself into a psychiatric hospital.
From the offset I hated the protagonist and narrator Craig. Brought up in upper middle class New York by wealthy parents, he attends a highly prestigious school surrounded by competition. Typical of a teen novel he falls victim to the ever evil unrequited love. What bugs me so much throughout the novel is that this boy has no real problems. Yes, he's socially awkward, but what teenager isn't? His problems of falling behind in school could be easily solved if he stopped smoking marijuana and did his homework! Not since Holden Caulfield has a character in a novel annoyed me so much.
The time spent in the psychiatric ward was too One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest for my liking. Maybe its hard to write a novel in that setting without referencing Ken Kesey but I felt that it was a poor man's version. Craig lacked any dysfunctional relationship with his parents that might attribute to his negative view on life. His parents were supportive and loving and completely baffled as to why their son was contemplating ending it all. Craig lacked any goals, he was lazy and had every chance to get his life together.
Our meeting of the club didn't have a great turnout, perhaps other people felt like I did. Those that were there didn't have many positive comments and even the host du jour spent a suspicious amount of time referencing the film, leaving me wondering if a bad movie was better than our book choice.
All negativity aside, I think it was welcome to have a book that we all seemed to dislike and if anything at least we got to widen our genre selection. I'd love to hear your opinions on the book if you've read it, maybe you could try and soften my cynical side.

No comments:

Post a Comment